Phoenix Park was established in 1662 and it is one of the largest parks in Europe. The 30% of the park is covered by trees and there are mainly broadleaf parkland species such as beech, oak, lime, ash, sycamore and horsechestnut. Since 1660 a herd of fallow deer has lived in the park. The Phoenix Park is a sanctuary for many mammals, birds and a wide range of wildlife habitats.
Many historic buildings and monuments are located in the park such as Áras an Uachtaráin, the residence of the President of Ireland, is located in the centre of the park or the United States Ambassador’s residence.
The Victorian People’s Flower Gardens, located close to the Parkgate Street entrance, were re-opened in 1864. In these gardens there are ornamental lakes, children’s playground, picnic area and Victorian bedding schemes. Their opening hours are 8am till dusk so closing times vary during the year.
Ashtown Demesne, accessed off the Phoenix roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue, has numerous attractions for young and old alike such as Ashtown Castle, a Victorian Kitchen Walled Garden , Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, Phoenix Cafe, toilets, car and coach parking, woodland walks and picnic area.
The Phoenix Park Visitor Centre has an audio-visual presentation of the park throughout time.
The Victorian Tea Kiosk is situated between Dublin Zoo and the Band Hollow and it serves teas and lunches with an outdoor picnic area.
The Phoenix Park is open 24 hours a day for 7 days a week, all year round. Parkgate Street and Castleknock Gate are open 24 hours, instead the side gates are open from 7am until 11pm.
The average length of the visit is between 3 or 4 hours.
Phone: +353 1 820 5800 / 820 3500 or 821 3021