Hi, I’m Dearan.
I founded Babylon to help people integrate smoothly to their new country. I was an Immigrant myself in Spain and Australia, and found that it wasn’t easy to integrate.
I was also a teacher, helping students with questions about Ireland. I was happy to help them with all I knew, and what I didn’t know, I researched for them. But I discovered a lot of the information was hard to find, so I thought, if it’s difficult for me, as a native, it must be much more difficult for them. In classes, people would often tell me that I was the only person they spoke English to because they would stay with their own nationality. I wanted to solve this problem and I thought, whatever country you come from, or whatever language you speak, music is a universal language that can bring people together.
So, I decided to create a resource to remove the uncertainty, stress, doubts and barriers about moving country, in 4 different parts.
One day as I was walking down Dame Street, I heard about 12 languages being spoken. It reminded me of the story of the tower of Babylon, which is a story in the bible that describes the people of the world attempting to build a tower that would reach to heaven. In the story, God destroyed the tower and gave all the people different languages so that they could no longer understand and communicate with each other, meaning they could not build the tower. That’s one of the reasons why I decided to call it Babylon.
The other was because Babylon was an ancient city located in Mesopotamia (present-day Iraq) from the 18th to the 6th centuries BCE. It was the first truly multicultural city in the world due to its location on the corner of Africa, Asia and Europe. It was known for its impressive architecture, including the Hanging Gardens, considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Babylon was also known for its law code, and its cultural achievements in astronomy, mathematics and art.
What people say about us
“I love the Radio, playing music from all around the world as music is a universal language.”
“All the information you need about living here, like work, education, health, law and more. Also about visiting here and things to do. Translated into 6 different languages.”
“Events with multicultural bands and DJs bring people together from different countries to help make friends and create real relationships.”
Join the Team
Babylon Radio is a multicultural site with information about living here, visiting and things to do, playing music from all around the world, running multicultural events and more. The components of our project consist on a Web Radio, a Web Site and a Multicultural Community, which are created to help people to feel included, informed and welcome through our website, radio shows and events. Our aim is to help people around the world unite through music with no barriers of borders, race, religion or politics.
We are looking for passionate Journalists to participate in the creative cycle of a news story by investigating and writing rich and unbiased stories. While many think of journalists of writing articles for print publications, journalists nowadays have to be familiar with technology and not only write for print publications, but for the web, on social media, take pictures, video and more. In order to survive and thrive in the journalism field, you have to be knowledgeable in terms of media familiarity and confident writing in various mediums.
- Collect, verify and analyse newsworthy information
- Assemble findings into a stable story
- Write and deliver news stories with the reader’s perspective in mind
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips
- Abide by journalism’s ethics and codes
No professional experience is required.
The ideal candidate should possess: An inquiring mind; excellent written English and a concise writing style; the ability to win the confidence of all kinds of people; high standards of accuracy; the ability to produce good work under pressure; a thick skin, to handle rejection; persistence and stamina; quick understanding – journalists often have to write with authority on unfamiliar subjects; a knowledge of the law as it affects journalism.
We are looking for a talented Social media manager to administer our social media accounts. You will be responsible for creating original text, managing posts and responding to followers. You will manage our company image in a cohesive way to achieve our communication goals.
As a Social media manager, we expect you to be up-to-date with the latest digital technologies and social media trends. You should have excellent communication skills and be able to express our company’s views creatively.
Ultimately, you should be able to handle our social media presence ensuring high levels of web traffic and customer engagement.
- Create original text, manage posts and respond to followers
- Manage the company image in a cohesive way to achieve our communication goals
- Ability to handle our social media presence ensuring high levels of web traffic and customer engagement
- Knowledge of online marketing channels to achieve higher engagement rates
- Digital / Social media marketing academic background
- Intermediate verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Creative problem solving skills
- No professional experience is required.
- 1 year experience in Digital / Social media marketing
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services.
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with other web designers to match visual design intent
- Candidates must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Conceptualize and execute original ideas that bring simplicity and user-friendliness.
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Create and maintain software documentation.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and a methodical approach to all tasks.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Experience in writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practice and standard HTML/CSS practices considered advantageous.
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
Babylon Radio is a multicultural site with information about living, visiting and things to do, playing music from all around the world, running multicultural events and more. Babylon consists of a Web Radio, a Website and a Multicultural Community, which are created to help people to feel included, informed and welcome through our website, radio shows and events. We are currently looking for a HR manager.
The internship is for a minimum of 3 months, and it is unpaid.
- Developing HR planning strategies by considering immediate and long-term staff requirements;
- Recruiting staff by preparing job descriptions and job adverts; deciding on how best to advertise;
- Shortlisting applicants for interview using a variety of selection techniques;
- Interpreting and advising on employment legislation; develop and implement policies on a variety of workplace issues eg disciplinary procedures, absence management, working conditions, performance management and equal opportunities;
- Analysing training needs in conjunction; planning and delivering training, including staff inductions.
- Possess a high level organisational and communication skills;
- Possess a professional & commercial approach to HR;
- Have the ability to analyse, interpret and explain the legal framework regulating employment.
If you find this opportunity suitable for you, send us your CV today at email@example.com . All applications will be considered.
Babylon Radio is a multicultural site with information about living, visiting and things to do, playing music from all around the world, running multicultural events and more. Babylon consists of a Web Radio, a Website and a Multicultural Community, which are created to help people to feel included, informed and welcome through our website, radio shows and events.
The internship is for a minimum of 3 months, and it is unpaid.
- Assist the Founder in day-to-day activities including coordination and management of schedules and general office duties
- Responding to and forwarding general enquiries in coordination with the various departments
- Supporting HR-related activities and supervising the workflows
- Partnering with the management in administering the daily activities
If you find this role suitable for you, send us your CV today. All applications will be considered. CVs can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Executive Assistant Job Application in the subject line.
Babylon is a multicultural site which integrates non-Irish people into Ireland. We have four main components: Informational content, radio, fresh journalistic content and events.
The internship is for a minimum period of three months and the position is unpaid. It is an exciting opportunity for those who are looking for some hands-on experience.
There is an opening for a highly energetic and focused business development intern to join our team. This individual will be working closely with the founder to find and develop the business.The primary focus of the role will be on providing best practice customer engagement in the handling of expansion. He/She is also responsible for developing new business contacts, identifying new business opportunities, and completing monthly target goals for Babylon.
- Building and sustaining long-lasting relationships with existing and potential clients
- Key link between Babylon management and clients to ensure consistency and prioritisation.
- Writing detailed reports and preparing presentations for the clients
- Making strategic business decisions
- Preparing and delivering pitches and presentations to potential new clients
- Highly motivated and target-driven
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to build strong relationships with the teams
- Professional and able to maintain confidentiality
- Self starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Committed to collaboration and teamwork
- Effective time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to give and receive constructive criticism.
If you find this role suitable for you, send us your CV today. All applications will be considered. CVs can be sent to: email@example.com with Business Developer Job Application in the subject line.
- Adhere to the presentation norms and present the shows for Babylon
- Planning, researching, and writing their own scripts before filming or broadcast
- Prepare scripts and submit them well in advance of the programs
- Acting as the host, introduce and interview guests and interact with the audience
- Delivering information to the audience in a manner appropriate to the program
- Conceptualize and develop program ideas, and assist in forward planning of material for future programs
- Reacting quickly and positively to any problems or changes
- Following detailed instructions from the production team in order to keep everything to plan whilst on air
- Open to non-graduates and graduates of any discipline
- Research and interviewing skills.
- Outgoing and confident, with a likable personality.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Calmness under pressure and the ability to work to strict deadlines.
- Good memory, for recalling facts, figures and scripts.
- Ability to work well with others in the production team and participants in the program even without supervision.
- Comfortable and natural in front of the camera and microphone.
- Ability to get on and connect with people, young and old, from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Experience in Broadcast Journalism
- Experience in on-air and program production.
- Knowledge of production techniques and facilities in both Radio and Television.
- Assist the CEO in day-to-day activities including calendar management involving high-volume/complexity, reprioritization of meetings and the ability to strategically prioritize access, in collaboration with other teams.
- Understand and plan the CEO’s time in a weekly and daily time frame and ensure the optimization of their time against the strategic objectives of the company.
- Produce first drafts of emails and various documents for the CEO to review and edit in a timely and accurate manner.
- Acting as a proxy for your CEO when unavailable, including privileged access to meetings, people and information.
- Support a variety of projects and initiatives from various departments in Babylon if necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulately with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills and a drive to improve processes.
- Detail oriented and ability to handle confidential information professionally.
- Acutely familiar with google products (Gmail, Google calendar and Google drive)
- Proficient verbal, written, presentation and communication skills in English
- Must be based in Dublin.
- Previous experience as an Executive Assistant.
- Experience in using Trello.
- Designing and implementing workflows of business operations
- Direct involvement in Live Webinars for Babylon.
- Coordinating with web developers to develop and maintain the website
- Coordinating with social media managers to ensure the promotion of various articles, radio shows and live webinars.
- Managing large and diverse teams
- Overseeing operations of the company by ensuring proper systems and processes in place
- Efficient communication with the Heads of other departments.
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in using google products
- Capacity to manage high stress situations
- Ability to multi-task and manage various project elements simultaneously
- Leadership skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience with WordPress.
- Experience in Trello.
Are you passionate about podcasting and the art of interviewing subject-matter experts on-air? Our Podcaster role could be for you. As a Podcaster at Babylon, you will be the on-air host and content planner for several of your podcasts. It can be a mix of audio and video podcasts (posted to YouTube). You should be comfortable on-air in both formats. This is a new role, with steady, weekly work for a growing number of podcasts. All podcasts are in a variety of niches. You should be comfortable with diving into topics and subject matter that may be unfamiliar to you.
- Planning and preparing episode topics and interview questions.
- Brainstorm and research your own topics for podcast episodes.
- Hosting and recording the episodes with a co-host or guest.
- Writing brief show notes for each episode.
- Decent microphone
- Webcam for videos
- Computer with stable Internet connection
- Clean and distraction-free space to record on-air episodes.
- Experience in Podcasting.