Dublin kicks off its 2019 Christmas tree lighting
Dublin Christmas tree lighting starts off the festive season with a total of 30 Christmas trees being lit in around the city.
Dublin is ahead of New York City when it comes to Christmas tree lighting. The Irish capital began to switch on its Christmas trees on November 29. The first two glittering trees are located at Sandymount Green in Dublin 4 and at Ballymun’s Main Street in Dublin 11.
“Christmas is a special time that brings local communities together,” the Lord Mayor Paul McAuliffe said. “As part of these celebrations, Dublin City Council is providing Christmas Trees at locations throughout the city and I invite locals to come along and join in the festivities.”
A great evening
at the switching on of the Christmas Tree lights in Finglas village
Thanks to everyone who turned up and Well done to
North West area staff and @Finglastidytown
for organising the event .#christmas
Cllr. Keith Connolly (@keithconnollyff) November
The splendour of Christmas tree lighting in Dublin may not be as glorious as at the Rockefeller Centre in NYC where a Christmas tree with 50 thousand lights is to be lit for the 87th time on December 4. Nonetheless, Dublin will have about 30 Christmas trees erected and lit up in the coming two weeks.
Christmas Tree Lighting ceremonies in Dublin:
- 29 Nov, 5pm – Sandymount Green, Dublin 4.
- 29 Nov, 6pm – Ballymun Plaza, Main Street, Ballymun, Dublin 11.
- 30 Nov, 4pm – Carpark in Terenure Village, Dublin 6.
- 30 Nov, 5pm – Johnny Cullen’s Hill, East Road, Dublin 1.
- 1 Dec, 3pm – Drumcondra, opposite Fagan’s Pub, Dublin 9.
- 1 Dec, 5pm – Donnybrook Plaza, beside the Fire Station, Dublin 4.
- 3 Dec, 4pm – Blessington Street Basin, Dublin 7.
- 3 Dec, 4.45pm – Dolphin’s Barn, in the park at Our Lady of Dolours Church at junction of South Circular Road, Dublin 8.
- 3 Dec, 6pm – Inchicore Village, LINC (WALK) Building, Tyrconnell Road, Dublin 8.
- 4 Dec, 5pm – St. Agnes Church Grounds, Crumlin, Dublin 12.
- 4 Dec, 6pm – Cherry Orchard Avenue, Church of the Most Holy Sacrament, Dublin 10.
- 5 Dec, 5pm – Roundabout on Faussagh Road/Quarry Road, Cabra, Dublin 7.
- 5 Dec, 7pm – The Plaza, Chapelizod Village, Dublin 20.
- 6 Dec, 6pm – Stoneybatter Green, junction of Aughrim Street and Prussia Street by the Stoneybatter Stone, Dublin 7.
- 6 Dec, 7pm – Santry Resource Centre, Dublin 9.
- 7 Dec, 4.15pm – Edenmore Shopping Centre. A Christmas Market Fair from 12-4pm will precede the Lighting event.
- 7 Dec, 5.45pm – Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Mourne Rd. Dublin 12.
- 8 Dec, 2-5pm – Kilmore Recreation Centre, Cromcastle Rd, Dublin 5. Kilmore West Youth Project to host “The Heroes of Kilmore” event on the day. Kilmore Community Garden will officially launch on the day also.
- 12 Dec, 5pm – Buckingham Street, Dublin 1.
Apart from Christmas tree lighting in Dublin, locals and visitors alike can look forward to Winter Lights, when 14 locations around Dublin will be illuminated on December 1, and be sure to get all your Christmas gifts sorted out with our Christmas markets around Ireland.