Take that holiday!
Work is a necessary part of life. It provides financial stability and a sense of purpose. Amidst work, It’s important to take time off to relax and reboot. It is also an opportunity to reconnect with loved ones and explore new places in France, Switzerland, Canada, Egypt, Florida, UAE, Rwanda and many more.
We all need time to switch off as life can get so busy now. With all the stress and exhaustion one feels from work and other responsibilities, it’s easy to forget there’s a need to rest.
Ernst & Young conducted internal research and found that for each additional 10 hours of holiday employees took, their year-end performance ratings improved by 8%. Staff who took frequent holidays meant they were also less likely to leave the firm.
The thought of celebrating holidays; one can look forward to. Imagine the relaxation and enjoyment you can get by listening to your favourite music while lying on a sun lounge in Dubai or Thailand, reading some books, that’s already a reason to keep going. Celebrating holidays helps refuel ourselves with the rest and motivation we definitely need.
Stress plays a vital role in heart problems and depression. If you are stressed, holidays are an excellent time for you to unwind from all the stressors in your life.
Going on a holiday usually involves traveling, and traveling is exciting. It is a great chance to escape one’s daily routine and also see new places. A holiday can be a chance to improve your physical and mental well-being, so they are experiences that everyone should be taking advantage of at least once a year.
This spring/summer period is the perfect time for you to be under mild sunlight and get the vitamin D you need to fuel your body and spirit.
Some benefits of taking a holiday/break
- Vacations can offer an opportunity for personal growth and exploration: When we travel to new places, we are exposed to different cultures, ideas, and perspectives. This can broaden our horizons and enhance our creativity, as well as provide us with new experiences and memories that we can cherish for years to come.
- Travel helps us appreciate life more: We get to try new experiences like sampling different foods and doing other things we wouldn’t usually do back home.
- Life satisfaction: A good work-life balance is needed to do things that make one happy. A holiday is usually the time to spend quality time with loved ones and also a good opportunity to reflect and think about our lives. Quality time means actual fun time and not sitting in front of the TV with your phone or iPad in your hand. It is important to talk to your partner or family. Holidays are usually the best time to talk, there are no distractions and you can plan for the future or talk about experiences you have been having (good or bad) without the TV on, the office getting in the way or your phone ringing.
- Taking a break from work responsibilities helps to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, which improves overall well-being.
- Aside from improving mental health, a vacation can lead to other health benefits, such as better mood and even weight loss. This is mostly because the body is able to relax and there are lower stress-levels.
- Taking holidays or short breaks also helps in engaging in more physical activities like swimming, walking, and hiking. This improves cardiovascular health and reduces the risk of chronic diseases, because you are not sitting at your desk all day.
- Taking holidays provides the opportunity to create meaningful memories with loved ones. These memories are cherished for a long time; even years. It provides a source of happiness and fulfilment.
In a study published in 2018 in the Journal of Applied Psychology, researchers found that informal “microbreaks” of just a few minutes all through the day led to the improved mood as well as job performance; as long as workers spent this time doing something relaxing, social, or mentally engaging. From taking a snack break, which suggests that at least some of the benefit from breaks comes from doing something else with our brain, not just stopping our work.
Even taking a staycation or a quick weekend trip, can still help in one’s everyday life. Ensure you are taking your holidays each year. You don’t necessarily need to book a flight halfway around the world, as long as you get to escape your daily routine and recharge.