Tenant Rights

fa barboza Lf3S2zRXKXk unsplash

Rights as a tenant in private rented accommodation:

  • You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home.
  • You are entitled to certain minimum standards of accommodation..
  • You have the right to contact the landlord or their agent at any reasonable times. You are also entitled to the appropriate contact information you need to do so (telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses, etc.).
  • Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency.
  • You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlords’ responsibility.
  • You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord about an extra person moving in.
  • You are entitled to a certain amount of notice of the termination of your tenancy.
  • You are entitled to refer any disputes to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) without being penalised for doing so
  • You have the right to a copy of any register entry held by the PRTB dealing with your tenancy
  • You re entitled to know the accommodation’s Building Energy Rating (BER), telling you how energy efficient the home is

Security of tenure

You have the right to security of tenure in six-year cycles under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. A tenancy that is guaranteed in this way is called a Part 4 tenancy. If you intend to avail of protection under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (e.g. stay in the property for up to four years) you should inform your landlord in writing between 3 and 1 month before the expiry of your fixed-term tenancy of lease agreement.

Obligations of a tenant in private rented accommodation

  • Pay your rent on time.
  • Keep the property in good order.
  • Inform the landlord if repairs are needed and give the landlord access to the property to carry out repairs.
  • Give the landlord access (by appointment) for routine inspections.
  • Inform the landlord of who is living in the property.
  • Avoid causing damage or nuisance.
  • Make sure that you do not cause the landlord to be in breach of the law.
  • Comply with any special terms in your tenancy agreement, verbal or written.
  • Give the landlord the information required to register with the PRTB and sign the registration form when asked to do so.
  • Give landlord proper notice if u=you are ending the tenancy

You should note that it may be more difficult to assert your rights if you have broken conditions of your tenancy.

How to apply

If you feel your rights as a tenant have been infringed you have the ability to dispute cases regarding private tenancy agreements at the Private Residential Tenancies Board. There they will provide you with a dispute resolution service for the private rented sector. 

If you feel your rights as a local authority tenant have been infringed, you should contact the Housing Department of your local authority. 

Related pages