When you start learning a language, after some time it’s recommended to read books in that language. Firstly, you can improve your vocabulary, secondly it’s easier to remember the grammar structure if you see them being used in sentences. Nowadays, English is spoken all over the world, that’s why it’s advised to learn English as soons as possible.
We have prepared a list of 9 novels which may help you to improve your English.
1. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket – The book tells the story of three orphans, fourteen-year-old inventor Violet Baudelaire, her twelve-year-old brother Klaus, and their baby sister Sunny who have to face their relative Count Olaf. As the title says the story doesn’t have a happy ending, however, you will have fun while reading it. The language is not that difficult and you can learn some new useful words.
2. The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde – It may be a bit more difficult, but it is definitely worth reading. The book tells the story of a young, vain and wealthy man, who has a very peculiar secret. The plot is very mysterious and includes elements of the fantastic and magical world.
3. Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie – this book doesn’t only use everyday English, it will also enrich your vocabulary. The main character Hercule Poirot has to investigate the death of a young woman.
4.The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman – reading books for teenagers or children, especially, when you have just started your journey of learning English is always a good idea. The book is about a boy, who one day finds out that the family who lives down the lane is odd, however, it doesn’t stop him from making friends with a girl who lives there. It is a magical and mysterious book, which is worth reading.
5. Animal Farm – George Orwell – The most famous allegory of Communist Russia. The language makes the book easy and enjoyable to read. To avoid censorship Orwell used animal farm to make a comment about current political issues.
6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- Another book, which may be considered being for teenagers. However, the register of the language is very diverse. You will learn more common words, idioms and phrasal verbs for sure. The books is about finding new friends, family dramas and first dates. Everything is depicted in the world of sex, drugs, Rocky Picture Horror Story. An amazing and poignant story, which is worth checking out.